Basta Run Against Torture (BRAT) V “Freedom from Torture, not Free to Torture!”
BRAT V intends to unify the call of various stakeholders from civil society and government for decision makers to take concrete and effective steps to address the routine use of torture not just through the implementation of the Anti-Torture Act of 2009 but also through complementary structural changes such as ensuring that the policy and practice of the police and security sector correspond and that the criminal justice system becomes facilitative to torture survivors seeking justice. The objectives of the run will be:
1. To urge the government to effectively implement the Anti-Torture Act of 2009 in the Philippine;
2. To urge key persons and agencies to take concrete and effective steps in order to see that the Routine use of torture in the Philippines is discontinued by addressing the disjoint between policy and practice in policing and state security sectors;
3. To urge the Senate to ratify the Optional Protocol to the Convention Against Torture in the 1st 100 days of the 15th Congress;
4. To direct government’s attention to the flawed criminal justice system that deters victims from accessing reparation and shields perpetrators from accountability.
United Against Torture Coalition (UATC)-Philippines spearheaded by Amnesty International-Philippines, Balay Rehabilitation Center, Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP), Medical Action Group (MAG), the Philippine Alliance of Human Rights Advocates (PAHRA) and Families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance (FIND) in collaboration with the Kilusan para sa Pambansang Demokrasya (KPD).
Other supporting organizations
Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
Department of Justice (DOJ)
Philippine National Police (PNP) Human Rights Affairs Office
Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Human Rights Office
Commission of Human Rights (CHR)
- All participants will assemble at the front of the Department of the Interior and Local Government on the 24th of June (Friday) at around 6:30– 7:00AM
- The run will start at 7:00 AM sharp